Literacy and numeracy catch-up premium
The literacy and numeracy catch-up premium provides additional funding to support Year 7 pupils who did not achieve the expected standard in reading and/or mathematics at the end of Key Stage 2 (KS2). The funding is allocated to all schools to enhance the educational provision for pupils who need additional support and intervention in literacy and/or numeracy.
In 2016/17 Ormiston Endeavour Academy was allocated £15,612.
At Endeavour, we assess the individual needs of each pupil who requires additional support and intervention in literacy and/or numeracy to decide the best way to use the funding. We then select programmes and approaches that are proven to be effective in enhancing literacy and/or numeracy skills.
The objective of the catch-up funding:
- To narrow the gap by providing intensive literacy and numeracy support and raise the attainment of those pupils entitled to Catch up Premium
- To raise self-esteem and aspirations of pupils entitled to Catch up Premium
- To enhance existing provision
- To identify concerns and target intervention and support to accelerate progress
- To intervene quickly if any chosen strategy or intervention fails to show impact
- To ensure that parents are informed and involved where appropriate.
We do this by:
- All Year 7 students are screened using a diagnostic reading test
- All follow ‘Accelerated Reader’ a programme that supports students in reading, enjoying and understanding texts
- All students are supported in their mathematics and English classes by highly skilled support staff
- Students are screened for working memory and dyslexia tendencies
- Students are also screened for tendencies for Irlens syndrome.
We use the funding to enhance our provision of a sophisticated range of interventions that includes:
- One-to-one intervention for literacy and numeracy
- One-to-one reading programme
- Intensive small-group tuition
- Use of Lexia Learning
- The use of literacy and computer-based learning resources linked to Accelerated Reader
- Whole academy reading programme
- Small group work
- Provision of student resources.
Click here for further details on current spend and Impact measure.